In September, the family of Tyler Chase received devastating news that he had passed away from a drug overdose. However, just three months later, they discovered that the body that was cremated in his name was not his own.
Chase had been staying at a rehab center and had been sober for several months when he went to use his food stamps at a department store. He noticed that his credit card was no longer active, which led him to suspect something was wrong. When he went to authorities to resolve the issue, he was informed that a death certificate had been filed in his name.
The Portland Police were called to investigate the situation and eventually discovered that a man living at the rehab center had died from an overdose and was mistakenly identified as Chase. His family was notified of his death and the body was cremated without being properly identified.
Chase’s cousin, Tasha Rosales, initially thought the news of him being alive was a hoax until she learned more about the situation. The entire ordeal led her to raise over a thousand dollars for his cremation out of respect for her deceased cousin’s memory.
Chase eventually found work in Portland helping the homeless and realized how easily he could have met the same fate as the man who died in his place. The Multnomah County spokesperson expressed deep regret for the misidentification and new procedures were put in place to prevent such errors from happening again.
The incident serves as a reminder of how important it is to properly identify individuals before making any decisions or actions about their lives or property.